Walks by Area - Claylands Circular Walk No 4, Grizedale Bridge
|Intro||A circular walk starting and finishing at Claylands Caravan Park. Parking is allowed on the caravan park car park.|
|Terrain||The route is on footpaths, bridleways, tracks and minor roads. It crosses fields, goes over open fell access land and through woodland. There is some ascent and descent and some of the paths can be muddy.|
|Distance||Approximately 11km (7 miles). Allow 4 to 41/2 hrs to complete the walk.|
1. Follow the footpath through Claylands to the right of the shop, down the steps to the footbridge over the River Wyre. Go across the fields to the Railway Line, turn right then left under the railway bridge and follow the path to the road through Scorton. On reaching the road, turn left into the village and right along Snowhill Lane going uphill and over the motorway.
2. Follow Snowhill Lane up to the junction with Higher Lane then follow the path into the open access land and up to the top of Nicky Nook, keeping the tarn below you on the left. On reaching the "Trig" point it is well worth taking in the views, where on a good day it is possible to see from the south - the Welsh Hills, Blackpool tower, The Isle of Man, the Lake District Hills and finally to the east the Bowland Fells.
3. Continue in the same direction beyond the 'Trig' point starting downhill and ahead to a stile through the dry-stone wall. Continue downhill, past a well constructed stone cairn following the distinctive red waymarkers until reaching the track. Turn left and after passing through a kissing gate follow the road to Fell End Farm. (There is now an alternative concessionary path to the right just before the farm that can be taken to avoid the farmyard). At the farm, follow a path to the right until reaching the road at Grizedale Bridge.
4. Follow the road to your right and after passing a reservoir, look for a finger post on your right and follow the path keeping the wireless stations on your left. At the crossroad of tracks turn right down to Moor House.
5. After passing Moor House continue onwards to Burns Farm. Turn right through the farmyard, right at the road and then left on a concrete road past a small reservoir. Go over stiles into a field following waymarkers to the woods ahead. Go down a steep waymarked route through the woods and over a bridge into the Grizedale Valley.
6. In the valley, follow the path up to a kissing gate that leads into Higher Lane, turn right then left down Tithe Barn Lane into Scorton.
7. On reaching the village you can retrace your steps to the railway line, the River Wyre and Claylands.
|Starting Point||The trail starts at Claylands Caravan Park off the A6 between Scorton and Cabus.|
|Starting Point - Map|