Hosepipe ban on the wayPublished Tuesday, 17 July 2018
United Utilities announced today that they will be introducing a hosepipe ban across most of the North West on 5 August.
The message below has been issued by United Utilities today (Tuesday 17 August):
We’ve all been enjoying the lovely hot weather but the lack of rain and high demand for water means that reservoirs are now lower than we’d like them to be at this time of year.
That’s why we’ve taken the decision to introduce a hosepipe ban across most of the North West on the 5 August. This means you won’t be allowed to use either a hosepipe or sprinkler as they use an incredible amount of water. We know hosepipe bans can be inconvenient but by taking these steps now we can make sure we have enough water for more essential things like drinking, washing and cooking.
A small number of postcode areas in Cumbria are not currently affected by the ban. You can use our address checker to see if you are affected and when the ban will be introduced in your area.
The main restrictions include:
- Watering a garden and/or plants using a hosepipe
- Cleaning a private car, van, motorbike, trailer, caravan or leisure boat using a hosepipe
- Filling or maintaining a domestic swimming pool, paddling pool or ornamental fountain
- Cleaning walls or windows using a hosepipe
- Using a water from a hosepipe for domestic recreational use
- Cleaning paths or patios using a hosepipe
- Cleaning other artificial outdoor surfaces using a hosepipe.
You can still use water outdoors if you:
- Use tap water to fill a bucket or watering can
- Use grey water, which is water that’s been used before ie bath water
- Have your own water supply such as a private borehole.
For full details about what is and isn’t included in the hosepipe ban please read our legal notice. If after reading this notice you wish to apply for an exemption from these water restrictions due to a requirement not currently outlined in the exceptions, please complete our contact form.
We’ve also provided question and answers which gives more details on what you can and can’t do. If you’re not able to find what you’re looking for please contact us on 0800 107 8861.
Until the ban is introduced, if you’re able to avoid using garden sprinklers and hosepipes to water your lawns at this time it really will make a big difference. Please use a watering can instead or, even better, reuse any water from the home such as water from washing up bowls or bath water.
Whatever you can do to reduce your water usage will help to make sure there is enough water for everyone. For more ways to save water visit our tips page, where you can also order FREE water saving gadgets to help you reduce water wastage in the home.
Thank you for your support in helping to keep the water flowing this summer.
For more information and updates, visit https://www.unitedutilities.com