Top ten tips to keep burglars at bay
- Lock doors and windows - even if you are just popping out for a few minutes or in the back garden
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Hide your car keys - and don't leave them near the door
- Install timers to turn lights on and off when you are out or away - or ask a neighbour to pop in and do it
- Going out after dark? Draw the curtains, leave a light on and a radio playing
- Mark your valuables with a UV pen giving your postcode and house number
- Don't leave ladders or tools out that could help a burglar gain entry
- Check your door locks conform to the British standard - many don't
- Don't forget to lock side doors and outbuildings. Theft of garden equipment is on the rise
- Consider installing a burglar alarm
The simplest advice is to make sure you use the security that already exists. Locking doors and windows, and leaving lights on could prevent up to half of the burglaries in some areas of Wyre.
For further information and advice visit Lancashire Constabulary's website
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!