Love Food Hate Waste
In UK households we waste seven million tonnes of it every year, five million of which is edible. We’re not talking egg shells, or bones from your chicken. We mean the last few bites from your plate that you couldn’t quite manage, or your bread crusts, or potato peelings – all stuff which could have been transformed into something delicious.
Whatever food you love, we can help you waste less, save the environment and up to £50 a month!
We’ve been working with local residents to help save the environment and the impact on wallets too.
Share your recipes
We're asking you to share with us your favourite recipes to use every last scrap of food.
To give us your recipes just fill in this form and we'll share them on this website soon. Watch this space!
Here are some quick and easy ways to make the most of your food:
- It pays to plan - planning your meals is one of the best ways to cut food waste. Before you go shopping check what's in your fridge, freezer and store cupboard. Write a shopping list before you head out and stick to it - it can save time and money
- Know your dates - the 'use by' date is key in terms of food safety. Never eat food after this date. 'Best before' dates refer to quality rather than food safety. One exception is eggs - never eat eggs after the 'best before' date. You can ignore the 'display until' date, it's there to help shop staff with stock control
- Getting to know your freezer - you don't have to freeze food on the day you buy it - you can freeze it before the 'use by' date then defrost and use within 24 hours
- Savvy storage - always follow the storage guidance on food packs to enjoy your food at its best
- Perfect portions - make sure you use the right portions. An average sized mug is great for measuring uncooked rice - one adult portion is about a quarter of a mug. Don't worry if you cook too much food, you can freeze leftovers or eat them for lunch the next day
- Visit Love Food, Hate Waste for more tips, advice and tasty recipes for your leftovers
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!