Apprentices and youth trainees
To apply for exemption from paying council tax please check you fit the below criteria and complete the application form:
Apprentices are disregarded for council tax purposes if you are:
- Employed for the purposes of learning a trade, business, profession, office, employment or vocation; and
- For that purpose are undertaking a programme of training leading to a qualification accredited by the National Council for Vocational Qualifications or the Scottish Vocational Educational Council; and
- Employed at a salary or in respect of an allowance, or both, which are in total:
- Substantially less than the salary they would be likely to receive if they had achieved the qualification in questions; and
- No more than £195 per week
To apply for excemption from paying council tax please check you fit the below criteria and complete the application form:
Youth trainees are disregarded for council tax if you are:
- Undertaking training according to an individual training plan under the Employment and Training Act 1973, funded by the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency; and
- Under 25 years of age
You are regarded as undertaking training from the day on which the course or programme begins to the day you complete, abandon or are dismissed from it.
For further information and advice please contact us
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!