Social media guidelines
Wyre Council has a number of accounts on social media networks which can be used by members of the public to contact us.
- Reply and responding to messages
- Defamatory comments
- Blocking and unfollowing
- Liking and following
- Sharing and retweeting
- Pre-election period
- Our social media accounts
- Contact us
- Our social media accounts are monitored from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays.
- If your query is urgent, serious or involves personal details, please contact us using an alternative method.
- We will endeavour to answer simple queries quickly on social media. However if the matter is complex, requires a lengthy or detailed response or you are not satisfied with our response, you may be directed to a relevant officer or department to discuss further or asked to submit a Freedom of Information request.
- You can of course talk to your local councillor about local matters also.
- The council will not tolerate offensive or abusive language or images on its social media channels and will remove any such comments.
- Please do not post any comments that are unlawful, libellous, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented or discriminatory. We will take down any statement that we consider could be deemed as any of the above and report them to the relevant platform administrators.
- Don't troll; by that we mean don’t create conflict on our social media sites by posting messages that are particularly controversial or inflammatory, extraneous or off-topic, with the intent of provoking an emotional response from other users or disrupting normal, on-topic discussion. Any such comments may be removed.
- Don't bully, harass or intimidate any individual or organisation.
- Don't impersonate someone else.
- Be civil, tasteful and relevant.
- Don't post content copied from elsewhere, for which you do not own the copyright.
- Don't post the same message, or very similar messages, repeatedly.
- Don't publicise your, or anyone else's, personal information, such as contact details.
- Don't advertise products or services.
- Don't post any political comments.
- Please take care not to make defamatory statements when posting on our pages. By publishing such a statement we can both get into serious trouble. We will therefore take down any statement that we consider could be deemed to be defamatory.
- If we block your account, this will probably be because you've abused our guidelines concerning appropriate commenting or you've followed or liked the council purely to promote a product or service.
- We can't like or follow everyone as sometimes the numbers of accounts are just too high for us to manage. So, please don't be offended if we don't. This doesn't mean we don't like you or are not interested in what you have to say.
- We frequently follow or like people who provide information that is pertinent to our work as a local authority (for example UK government agencies, local media, and our other public sector partners) or those whose information we can pass on for the benefit of local people.
- Occasionally, we'll also try and lend our support to local and national campaigns.
- There will also be times we'll need to like or follow an account in order to take part in conversations.
- Please remember that while me may like or follow someone, retweet or share their information, it doesn't mean that we endorse them.
- We try to share or retweet information that we think will be of interest or use to people and businesses in Wyre. However please don't be offended if we don't retweet something you ask us to. Again, the numbers can be too big for us to manage.
- As a trusted organisation, any sharing of information could be seen as endorsement of a particular view, individual or organisation, and it's important that we remain impartial and protect the council's reputation.
- The council itself, as opposed to its political administration, must be politically neutral in its communications. Therefore, please do not use any of our pages to promote party political messages or other content. We will remove any comments that, in our view, may compromise our obligation to maintain political neutrality.
Please see below a list of our social media accounts:
- Wyre Council
- Discover Wyre
- Fleetwood Market
- Wyred Up
- Marine Hall
- Thornton Little Theatre
- Friends of Memorial Park
- Visit Garstang Tourist Information Centre
We also have accounts on the following platforms:
For further information or to speak to an advisor please contact us.
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!