Collection of Large Bulky Items
Operated by Bulky Matters, a partnership between us and local re-use charity Furniture Matters, our bulky waste collection service enables you to dispose of unwanted household items AND help local disadvantaged people and the environment at the same time - and it couldn't be easier to arrange!
We will remove bulky items from inside your home for a nominal fee.
What we can collect:
- Wooden furniture - wardrobes, tables, chairs, wall units, sideboards, flat-packs, bookcases, TV cabinets, desks, etc
- Soft furnishings - beds, settees, futons, easy chairs, headboards, cots, etc
- Domestic appliances - washers, fridges, TVs, toasters, microwaves, DVD players, vacuum cleaners, lamps, etc
- Kitchen items - pots, pans, cutlery, etc
- IT / Home Entertainment - TVs, DVDs, computers, video recorders, Hi-Fi units, speakers, phones, etc
- Bicycles - all types of adults and children's
- Miscellaneous - Gardening tools, musical instruments, indoor toys and games, outdoor play equipment, mobility aids, wheelchairs, bric-a-brac, etc.
What we can't collect:
- Household fixtures & fittings - baths, sinks, toilets, fitted kitchens, worktops, doors, lino
- Outdoor items - rubble, bricks, fence panels, garden rubbish, black bags
- Miscellaneous - pianos, fish tanks, rabbit hutches, commercial refrigeration
How much does this service cost?
- £18 for up to three items
- £6 per additional items
- Council Tax or Housing benefit recipients are eligible for a discount. Please mention at time of booking
Definition of an Item
Please count each item separately eg.
- a bed consisting of a base, mattress and headboard is 3 items
- a 3 piece suite is 3 items
- Please make safe any pieces of glass.
- Appliances must be disconnected from their service supply.
- Bricks must be removed from storage heaters.
- Please give consideration as to whether any special measures had to be taken to get your items in your house, these will be required to get them out again, e.g. doors removed
- Only items which have been agreed and paid for will be collected.
Request a Collection
Please telephone 01253 891000 to arrange a collection
Lancashire County Council also provides sites locally where residents can take such items themselves at no charge. Please refer to our Household Waste Recycling Centres website pages. If you require any further information please contact the Council at the address below.
Owners / drivers of vans or twin axled trailers need to obtain a permit from Lancashire County Council before using their vehicles to take household waste to a recycling centre.
What happens to the items?
- Where do you take the items?
The items will be taken firstly to the Bulky Matters warehousing and distribution 'Sort It' centre; where they will be sorted into what is reusable, what needs repair, what can be stripped down for parts and what can be recycled / reprocessed. The left-over or "residual waste" will be collected and taken to the landfill site.
- Who do the restored items go to and what criteria do they have to fit?
Reusable items will do to disadvantaged people who live in the district. Furniture Matters currently works with over 100 local statutory and voluntary sector organisations that are 'signed up' as accredited referral agencies (e.g. Health Visitors, the Probation Service, Social Services, Women's Aid, Age Concern, CABs etc). They refer their clients to us if they are in need of basic household items such as a bed to sleep in, a washer, a cooker etc.
- Does my item have to be in re-usable condition?
No. Whilst we welcome reusable items, this is a bulky household waste collection service. An item does not have to be reusable or recyclable for us to collect it. As long as it is on the list, and you have named it and paid for it, at the time of making the booking with the council's customer service centre, then we will collect it whatever its condition and dispose of it for you.
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!