Wyre Council

Frequently Asked Questions

Browse questions frequently asked Wyre Council.

Common FAQs

Q: What is Housing Benefit?

Q: How do I apply for Housing and Council Tax benefit?

Q: From what date will Benefit be paid?


The general rule is that housing benefit and council tax benefit entitlement will start from the Monday after the council receives your completed claim form, or from the Monday after the date you first contacted the council (or Department for Work and Pensions, Job Centre Plus or Pension Service). For new tenants and people who become liable to pay council tax for the first time, benefit can start from the actual date you moved in, or became liable. This is only the case if you make your claim before you move in, or within the same week (a benefit week runs from Monday to Sunday).

Q: What if I have a large family and the Grey Bin is not big enough?